What Did You Do? Wednesdays

Calling all fall fanatics, adventurous organizers, exercise procrastinators, perfectionists unable to make a move unless they're certain it will turn out with ultimate precision, messy Marvins, and any other category you put yourself in ~ stop by each Wednesday and share what you did that week. Big things, little things, adventurous things, nothin' much things, somethin' special things....doesn't matter.

Share your just one thing on What Did You Do? Wednesdays!


Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Make Squash Not War

Our fall season has kicked in with full force here, which entices me to make the most out of my time in the kitchen. As long as the oven is fired up, I say why not roast that chicken, make those muffins, bake that squash, & just to add to the festive aroma, chop those apples for homemade applesauce.

If I had to choose, I would say that squash is my favorite vegetable. Butternut, especially, is such a creamy, warm-in-the-tummy choice. I remember watching my mom prepare squash for the oven when I was a child. Although neither one violent by nature, it seemed to me, the relationship between the two of them was one of all out war. Scrubbed clean & lying in wait on the cutting board, I think the squash actually knew what was in store for it as my mom approached with the gleaming butcher knife. Just a quick slice of its end didn't seem a big deal. The knife glided right through the buttery colored skin & smooth core. A couple more slices.....things were going along alright. But then began the struggle. It was a confrontation between woman & vegetable. With the large knife wedged in the squash's insides, she would lift it from the cutting board what seemed like at least a foot above & smash it back onto the surface. Time & time again she did this in hopes of gaining victory. The quake of the whacking & walloping made items on the counter jump in distress. Always, in the end, & with a final declaration of a hearty, "Whew!", the thin woman won out.

I followed in her footsteps for years, administering massive squash beatings. But now I am free. Free to slice through the innocent, harvested plant with much more ease. What allowed me to liberate myself from this exhausting behavior? One word....microwave. Just as you would poke holes in a potato to prepare it in the microwave, poke a few holes in your beloved squash (be careful, as some varieties have very tough skins), & microwave it on high for 3-6 minutes depending on the power of your appliance.

Take care when removing it from the microwave, as it will be HOT!

I am pleased to report that my mom & I have improved our relations with the squash family, & we now slice with smiles on our faces.

Here's to a harmonious relationship!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails