What Did You Do? Wednesdays

Calling all fall fanatics, adventurous organizers, exercise procrastinators, perfectionists unable to make a move unless they're certain it will turn out with ultimate precision, messy Marvins, and any other category you put yourself in ~ stop by each Wednesday and share what you did that week. Big things, little things, adventurous things, nothin' much things, somethin' special things....doesn't matter.

Share your just one thing on What Did You Do? Wednesdays!


Friday, December 4, 2009

It's In The Bag

....my Sewing 101 diploma, that is. And really, it's in the bag I made during class. Wanna see??



What a masterpiece, eh? It was so ridiculously simple & because of its small size, I don't know in what capacity I'll ever use it, but can't you just see the care put into it?

I have to tell you, Sewing 101 was just fine. Can you believe it was just one other woman (a 66-year old Chinese woman) and myself? Basically everything we learned came flooding back to me (the memory still works). And yes, Mom, you DID teach me all the sewing basics. I know you hate the craft so much that I think you probably just blocked it out. But, once again, you were my original and BEST teacher.

The class didn't quite go off without a hitch. About 15 minutes in, I got a call from my husband. He would never call me in a situation like that unless it were truly necessary. And it was. Our first grader missed the bus home, and I had the van, in which the car seat for the 2-year old was. What to do? We had no one to call for assistance. He reached into the depths of our helpful people bank, but no one was available to call upon. All-in-all, the school's psychologist drove her safely back home (with appropriate booster seat in his vehicle). I'm sure she was scared when she first realized the bus had left, but one of her classmate's Moms helped her back inside the school & took her to the office. To A's defense, it had been our first snowfall and it took her longer to get on snowpants & boots, etc. vs. just a coat.

Ok, back in class....we all got along well, but I had the sneaking suspicion I might have been the favored student. My fellow student "Mae", as we'll refer to her as since that's what the teacher kept calling her even though that was NOT her name, was having quite a time with the foot pedal. I mean, I never knew a sewing machine could go from zero to 60 in 1 second flat. And so began the 2.5 hour long dialog between the two of them.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (sound of sewing machine)
Teacher: "Mae! You're scaring me, sweetie!! You've got to get the hang of this. S L O W L Y. I'm afraid you're going to hurt yourself!
Mae: "Oh no! I sorry Miss Laurie! I no do dis on purpose. I cannot contro so well. I not do dis to make you mad! I sorry, I sorry."
Teacher: "Now look at Julie. See how she's got a nice rhythm going?"
Mae: "Oh, I try. I cannot do so well. I see Julie do a good, good job. Oh, Julie, I see you do such a good, good job (giggle, giggle)."

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (sewing machine smokin' again)
Teacher: "MAE! Sweetie, dear!! It's my job to keep you safe & I'm afraid you're going to get your fingers here!"
Mae: (Repeat above sentences.)

Teacher: "Mae, Mae, Mae..... (me thinking: For the hundredth time, her name's NOT MAE!!)... you're half way to the moon!!"
I tried to keep track of how many times she told her that. I think I totaled 11. It meant she was sitting really far away from her table & machine.

If I had to grade myself on that class, I'd certainly give myself an A. Maybe not an A+ like I got on my pig pillow in 8th grade Home Ec. class, but an A, nonetheless. I left there with a little bit of knowledge back in my pocket & I'm at least ready to sew some straight lines for a few home decor items, an accessory or two, or something simple for the girls. And, no, Miss Laurie, I will not, I repeat NOT, be making a pair of pants for my husband. Trust me on that one.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Hi, Julie.

I just found your blog via OPT, and I wanted to thank you for making me laugh out loud (for real!) this morning when I should certainly have been working.
Good stuff!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails